August 2009, I sustained an injury to my right foot and ankle and after several months of various doctor visits and physical therapy, they finally determined that I have a rare nerve damage injury called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome aka RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome). RSDS is an injury disease. For more information on RSDS you can go to this website South Texas Innovative Medicine.

If left untreated the pain can spread throughout the entire body. It has already spread to my hip and is starting up the right side of my back. Dr. Rhodes at South Texas Innovative Medicine specializes in treating patients with this syndrome and has a 90% success rate. Treatments however must be done at the clinic in Corpus Christi, TX for 15 consecutive days and is extremely expensive. I needed to raise between $8,000 - $10,000 for the treatments, housing, food, airfare, and transportation while in Texas.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Sounds Like You Are In A Wind Storm

I woke up this morning and of course... it's raining! Again - this weather is killing me! But I love the beauty of the earth when it's raining so that's ok. I could remember what time my appointment was so I called Dr. Rhodes office. I had a few hours to I just laid in bed reading and listening to music. I fell asleep for a little while, while Trisha was out for a morning walk. I got to Dr. Rhodes office and met with the nurse first. She had me stand on this mood board - it's supposed to show the circulation in your feet. Yeah, it was black - very black. Not good. Then I ate my lunch while I waiting for Dr. B, he's a former orthopedic surgeon. He saw first hand the miracles Dr. Rhodes machines have done and started working with him within 30 days - he packed up and moved to corpus Christi.
A little later they took me to this new x-ray machine that capture bone loss. He found it very interested and immediately knew I had RSD. It is actually in my left foot as well. In the left foot at the big toe joint I already have bone loss and at my heal I already have 30% bone loss. The right foot was worse, it was in more areas where bone loss was starting and in the heal it's more to a 35%+ loss. Then I was hooked up to another machine that measures the circulation in your feet. My circulation is at about 20% which explains why my feet are at such a freezing temperature all the time. My left foot temp is 73 degrees! the only toes that had somewhat good circulation was my right middle toe. Random! Just talking to the Dr.'s I'm really excited, they are very proud of me for just dealing with the pain and not taking medicine they'll have to wean me off of - I told them the reason I don't take meds in the first place is because I hate feeling high and drugged. I rather be in horrible pain and be coherent then high and not have a clue to what's going on besides, I'm a mom and I have lots of responsibilities. They hooked me up to the machine that tests me to see which protocol I need the most that day so they could set it accordingly for the best treatment. I met a lady for California that was there today and she was so surprised that some of her tingling was gone - she was just unsure. I assured her that it was going to work and told her I knew she was going to feel better soon. She was actually really grateful I said that to her. I really want to help people understand and have hope. When my appointment was over I was waiting outside for Trisha to come get me. It was so windy, but I love it. Watching the palm trees blow in the wind and to see the clouds. I've really come to love nature a lot recently and can see the beauty of it all around. I called Kel to tell him about my day. He said, "What's going on? It sounds like you are in a wind storm or something." I replied, "It's because I am in a wind storm, I standing outside in one."
The office was closing, the nurses and Dr. Rhodes kept asking if I was going to be alright standing outside with my ride not here yet, I assured them I'd be fine. Dr. Rhodes was so sweet, he said well I feel responsible for you. Trisha showed up a minute later. We ran to Walmart to get a surge protector for my machine and a few other things.
We came home a got dinner ready, I talked to my kids - who I miss so much! I read Hais a chapter in her book, while I was doing my night treatment - I had to lie here and not move. Then after I finished my feet protocol I had to switch to my hand protocol. He thinks he can get rid of my sinus issues - we'll see. That would be amazing to be able to breath again. He said in about a week I should notice a world of difference.
When I was finished I went out into the family room, Trisha had prepared a family home evening lesson - it was about sharing the gospel with those around us. I was so grateful I decided to join them for that, they really have been such a good example to me. I know I've felt nervous for so long about sharing my beliefs with others. I love my church and am so grateful for it and the people. You can't tell me that the people aren't good when I've seen first hand how kind, generous, and loving this ward has been to a complete stranger. I'm grateful to know that I can look up a ward no matter where I go and go to church and learn about the same things I would be learning if I was home and know that if I need help all I have to do is ask. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment