August 2009, I sustained an injury to my right foot and ankle and after several months of various doctor visits and physical therapy, they finally determined that I have a rare nerve damage injury called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome aka RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome). RSDS is an injury disease. For more information on RSDS you can go to this website South Texas Innovative Medicine.

If left untreated the pain can spread throughout the entire body. It has already spread to my hip and is starting up the right side of my back. Dr. Rhodes at South Texas Innovative Medicine specializes in treating patients with this syndrome and has a 90% success rate. Treatments however must be done at the clinic in Corpus Christi, TX for 15 consecutive days and is extremely expensive. I needed to raise between $8,000 - $10,000 for the treatments, housing, food, airfare, and transportation while in Texas.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Soap Suds

I actually slept kinda well last night, went to bed with a killer migraine. Took 3 Alieve thankfully it helped me sleep. Woke up with a little migraine left. I drive to Dr. Rhodes, half way there I realized I forgot my machine at the house. Gosh Dang It! I couldn't turn around to get it cause I was already going to be late. I go there and Tamara sent me to room 6. I sat there for like 10 minutes then went up front and was like does anyone even know I'm here? Yeah she never told them I came. My usualy girl came in. I told her about my nasty migraine from the night before and so she went to go to talk to Dr. Rhodes. He put my on a new Protocol where the electrodes mostly go on my fingers.
He stopped by my room and I told him I wanted to talk with him. He sat down and I asked him more about RSD and told him to tell me medically why my pain keep jumping around so much. He said that the RSD goes through the blood meaning our blood goes through our entire body and where I'm experiencing the most pain is where my blood isn't circulating very well. He told me that I really need to make sure I'm eating A LOT of protein. He said to carry walnuts or almonds in my purse and to eat some every single hour. He said that RSD can make you hypoglycemic. He asked if I ever crave sugar and it's because of the RSD. I might eat something sugary and it might help for 10 minutes but then I'll crash. It's because my body is really craving the protein not the sugar. So this is my new venture... LOTS OF PROTEIN! I questioned about when the new machines will be in, he said they can't get here until the volcano in Iceland stops because it's seized all flights in Europe. I had no idea there was even a volcano. Being here I'm so out of the loop about what's going on in the world! (I found this picture later and I googled the volcano. It's my favorite picture I found) I asked my tech if protein shakes are ok (I love smoothies!) She said sure, yeah even beef jerky would be great to keep in my purse. During my testing today she had to test a lot of different frequencies. Finally she got one that had a great reading, she was super stoked! During the testing electrodes are placed in the area where the protocol states and then black things (would look like leg warmers but for your fingers) are placed on my pointer fingers and then a wire that reads temperatures are places touching my fingers is inserted. I have to warm up for 4 minutes before the testing starts. Then she starts setting the machine to different frequencies at4 minute intervals and a mini laptop records that temperature readings. If my body heats up too much or cools down too much then the machine gets a negative reading. You get a positive reading when your body responds well to an average temperature increase. The machine knows what your body needs! Since I forgot my machine they gave me very specific instructions to reset the frequencies myself.
On the way home I stopped and filled up Trisha's car with gas, I knew they'd never take gas money from me, so I figured that was the best way since they could give it back. Then I stopped at Whataburger to pick us up some breakfast. It was so yummy!
Then I started my new protocols, they did help a little today. I had no migraine until 3 PM. I took a nap, then asked Trisha if she could pick me up some Excedrin. I called Kathy to tell her about what Dr. Rhodes had said and to see how Bill was doing. She said his surgery went great! He didn't snap the tendon, it was actually a blood clot in the wrist and he didn't sever the nerve either it was just bruised. It was the best case scenario! Trisha made chicken tacos for dinner, they were really good. I made some cookies to take to the office tomorrow. I love cookies, I could eat them all day, but then I'd gain a ton of weight. I went and took a shower and then talked to Hais and read to her. Kel got on and talked to me too. Hailee tattled and told me how Daddy made bubbles come out of the dish washer. Kel said well there was a pre-wash thing in the dish washer so I put some dish soap in there. It wasn't a lot of soap suds I only used 2 towels to clean it up. Oh goodness! I asked if he missed me. He said yeah I'm excited for you to take back over your wifely duties. I thought me being gone would make him appreciate me more, but to him he thinks it's easy. I tried to explain that I take care of kids all day plus everything else and I'm in horrible pain. He'll never understand unfortunately. I just pray I'm better when I get back. I got to talk to Payton for a few minutes. Kel had told me that every time Payton sees he asks if I'm on the plane. I can't wait, one more week and I can see my family. I miss them. I miss their faces and the funny things they say to me. Well, better go to bed. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment