August 2009, I sustained an injury to my right foot and ankle and after several months of various doctor visits and physical therapy, they finally determined that I have a rare nerve damage injury called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome aka RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome). RSDS is an injury disease. For more information on RSDS you can go to this website South Texas Innovative Medicine.

If left untreated the pain can spread throughout the entire body. It has already spread to my hip and is starting up the right side of my back. Dr. Rhodes at South Texas Innovative Medicine specializes in treating patients with this syndrome and has a 90% success rate. Treatments however must be done at the clinic in Corpus Christi, TX for 15 consecutive days and is extremely expensive. I needed to raise between $8,000 - $10,000 for the treatments, housing, food, airfare, and transportation while in Texas.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Day of Exhaustion

Since my appointment today wasn't until noon, I slept until almost 11 AM. I have been so tired the last few days. I know it's from the weather though, it's the same in Phoenix when it's humid and rainy. I woke up this morning and felt so horrible - the pain was so bad. The pain in my hip was the feels like it's going to explode pain. Just most of my entire right side and bottom of my foot was really painful. I had every intention of going to the Dr. in sweats, but decided I needed to actually get dressed and put make up on my face.
I got the Dr. Rhodes office and went back to Room 6 to start my testing for the day. Since I was hurting so badly today, they didn't test my blood pressure, they didn't want to aggravate my pain any more. When Dr. B came in to see how I was doing today, I asked why in the world they had their office in a place with weather like this. He laughed, I said well at least you get to see me at my worst so you can fix me at my worst. He said well that's a great way to look at it! The testing found a protocol that would be great for my pain for today, so they reset my machine to new frequencies and sent me home with 2 new protocols - one lower body then other upper.
The nurse was telling me that their youngest RSD patient was 12, she twisted her ankle playing soccer. Another patient was 14 - I can't remember what happened to her. The oddest on set of RSD was a patient who gave someone a hi-5. This is such a strange disease! Anything cause on set it. Unfortunately for me I slipped in water. I have such great hope and faith that they can help me though.
Trisha needed to return some books at the library so we stopped in there after my appointment. FYI...the wind today was blowing crazy hard. We walked in and there was this really eerie whistling. Like the library was haunted - it was freaky! When we were at the check out I asked the girls if it bothered them, they said they don't even hear it anymore. They said the sound gets even louder when the wind in worse. Crazy! I don't know how people live here. Yes, it is very beautiful here, but the wind and rain. I couldn't do it.
I got home and made some lunch. Then came into my room and hooked up and started my new protocols. I fell asleep for a few hours. I feel like I don't get anything accomplished when I sleep so much, but I know that my body needs sleep to heal itself. After I woke up I actually can breath a little better and my body still hurts but not as badly.
I called Janine since she has Hais today. She said Hailee had said she was sad at school. At recess because she was sad they made her sit on the wall. Hais said they told her she had to be happy at school otherwise she had to sit on the wall. I need to get to the bottom of this cause that isn't flying with me. When you have a little child who's mommy is gone for almost a month, don't tell her she isn't allowed to be sad. I need to talk to her and her teacher, I'll let you know what happens later tonight, I'll have Kel figure out what really happened. Well, time for dinner... I'll finish a little later.
So after Kel picked up Hais he questioned her about her day, she said it was fine. Tonight when I read her her story I asked why she told Janine she sat on the wall. She told me she had asked if she could sit on the wall because she was sad. Good thing we ask lots of questions cause I was ready to really let some teacher have it, I was fired up.
Kathy called me tonight and I told her all about the new machine Dr. Rhodes has and all the new testing he is capable of doing. I'm going to set up up with modern Woodmen and get a fund raiser going for her so she can come back to Dr. Rhodes. While I'm here I'll try to find her a family to stay with to help lower the expense of treatments. She was so excited, I can't wait for her to feel better. We talked about doing a huge rummage sale and also having it be a part of Reese's Eagle Project, I'm so excited to help and organize it with them. I have so many ideas running through my head. I need to start making lists of all my inspirations.
I'm just waiting for Kel to call me to tell me good night. Sweet Dreams everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment