August 2009, I sustained an injury to my right foot and ankle and after several months of various doctor visits and physical therapy, they finally determined that I have a rare nerve damage injury called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome aka RSDS (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome). RSDS is an injury disease. For more information on RSDS you can go to this website South Texas Innovative Medicine.

If left untreated the pain can spread throughout the entire body. It has already spread to my hip and is starting up the right side of my back. Dr. Rhodes at South Texas Innovative Medicine specializes in treating patients with this syndrome and has a 90% success rate. Treatments however must be done at the clinic in Corpus Christi, TX for 15 consecutive days and is extremely expensive. I needed to raise between $8,000 - $10,000 for the treatments, housing, food, airfare, and transportation while in Texas.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Rain...

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday, it was a long day. I didn't sleep very well Tuesday night, I was pretty much up all night. It was so hot and humid plus the pain in my foot was really bad. I went to Dr. Rhodes in sweats, I was so tired. I did my tests for the day, they kept me on the same protocol. While I was waiting for Trish the two sisters I met in my first day were in the waiting room. They are so kind. Doore is from California. I found it really interesting her sister has Pixar connections and her daughter was actually the voice of Boo in Mosters Inc. We were talking for a while and she's written to Oprah about getting the word out about RSD and how Dr. Rhodes can help people. We exchanged numbers so we can get together while we are all here. After the Dr. Trisha and I ran a few errands then came home, I hooked up and then slept until just after 5 PM. I feel like all I do in read while I'm hooked up to my machine and sleep. I guess my body is catching up for the last 6 year of lack of sleep. They actually put me on a protocol that will make me tired so I'll actually sleep. Glad it's working. It's been really weird though my pain has been shifting a lot to the left side of my body. Usually it's mostly on the right. It has been so humid here that it's making my body feel all crazy. After dinner I pretty much hung out in my room and watched a movie. I talked to Hais and Kel. I miss them so much, I cried myself to sleep. I just want to hold my babies and love them. I just want Kelvin to be by my side and tell me everything is going to be ok. He's doing such a good job taking care of Hailee, I'm really proud of him.
I actually slept pretty well last night, probably from crying myself to the point of exhaustion. Of course when I woke up it was raining. The weather has been so bad while I've been here. Trisha took me to my appointment. The girls always take the temperature of both thumbs and big toes before and after treatment. My toes were colder after treatment today... in the low seventies. They changed my machines frequency and beat pattern to help me in a more effective way. After my treatment I was sitting in the waiting room, Trisha was dropping off job applications so I had to wait for her to finish. I just sat there and was reading my book, Janine called. There was this old man in the waiting room too and every time someone came to the office he'd get up and open the door for them, he was so thoughtful. He said hi and how are you doing to everyone who walked in that door. Janine and I hung up - I was going to start reading again, but instead I put my book away and started a conversation with this man. He's from Corpus Christi born in 1933, he served in the air force during the Korean War. We talked about my grandparents and how they served in the Navy during WWII. We were talking about the crazy weather here. I asked if he'd ever been in a hurricane, he said oh yes. When he was born there was a hurricane and they put him inside the dresser drawer. Old people have the best stories. I'm really grateful I've gotten to know my grandparents better this last few years. And that my kids have come to know them as well. Then this man probably in his 40's came in the office. You could tell he'd had some brain damage, he was in a wheel chair. He was really funny. He knew the old man and went over and asked him to write a number on his arm before he forgot (using his pen). It was a shocking pen. LOL - he thought it was so funny - except the old man couldn't feel it. He said he did it to the nurses and they jumped. It was really funny. I'm so glad I've been able to meet all these people and see what trials and struggles they go through in their lives and realize mine aren't as bad as some of theirs. When the wheel chair man left, the old man told me about him. He used to be a firefighter in Chicago and was hit by a train. They told his family he'd be a vegetable for the rest of his life. He said that the man is actually very independent - he can actually walk now but uses his chair when he has to ride the bus. It's amazing how the treatments have changed his life. He went from a vegetable to walking! That's incredible. Trisha arrived, it was raining so hard! I came home and did my treatments, I skyped with my mom and Payton. I was so excited to see my little man. Oh how I miss him! Then he ran out of the room and he was crying so I asked what was wrong? My mom said he'd run to the front door, he wanted me. My poor son - it brakes my heart that I can't hold him in my arms. So, she turned on Oomy Zoomies for him and he was happy again. I could barely keep my eyes open, when they were done I fell asleep until about 5PM. We had pancakes for dinner which were super yummy. My favorite! Hailee called for a few minutes. I took a shower and washed my hair. I read Hais her story and talked with Kel for a few minutes. Did my nails and watched a movie on Netflix. Now here I am, Kel just called to say good night. I really miss him. He said he was really tired, he doesn't sleep well when I'm not next to him. I hope he gets some rest tonight, he's been super busy at work. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment